Tonight the Rebels welcome in the South Carolina Gamecocks into the Tad Smith Colliseum. The Gamecocks come in with a record of (9-10, 1-4 SEC) with a victory over Alabama on Wednesday night. This game will be a big one for the Rebels, not just because they lost their first home game Thursday night giving up a 16 point lead over Florida, but because Murphy Holloway will be playing inspired to get a win over his former team. Holloway transfered to South Carolina last year from Ole Miss but didn’t play and decided to come back to Ole Miss this season. Here is a look ahead to the scouting of South Carolina, along with some keys for the Rebels success tonight.
Scouting South Carolina
Record: 9-10, 1-4 SEC
Average Points: 62.9
Average Points Allowed: 62.6
Away Record: 1-3
Probable Starters (South Carolina)
Malik Cooke: PPG 12.5-RPG 4.9
Damontre Harris: PPG 6.7-RPG 5.2
Bruce Ellington: PPG 10.2-RPG 2.0
Anthony Gill: PPG 8.2-RPG 5.1
Damien Leonard: PPG 6.5-RPG 1.4
Keys to Victory for Ole Miss
1. Forget about the Florida loss: Going into this game, the loss to Florida will be on everyone’s mind but its in the past. The Rebels need to come out and focus and get win number 9 at home this season.
2. Beware of this “Trap Game”: A lot of Rebel fans have said Friday after the loss to Florida that at least South Carolina will be an easy win. The Rebels should win this game in all aspects, however they can’t go in thinking that this is an easy win. They need to come out and play this team as if it were Mississippi State or Florida.
3. Murphy Holloway “Where Are You?”: With the emergence of Terrece Henry in the last few games it seems as if Holloway has disappeared. We will need him in today’s game as I believe that he will go off against his former team.
4. In The Paint: The Rebels need to get the ball back in the paint. Although I was happy to see us go 6-6 behind the arc in the first half of the Florida game, I also saw us miss two dunks that should have been made no matter what. The Rebels need to work the ball inside more and get the easy layups.
5. Turnover Battle: The Rebels still rank high at 8-1 when they win the turnover battle this season. Create some steals and force mistakes on the Gamecocks and turn every turnover into points.
6. Finish The Game: We all know that at home the Rebels come out with a bang. They grab early big point leads and play off the cheers of the home crowd. Now they need to take that early fire and make it burn for the entire game. Giving up the big lead to Florida, almost giving up the lead to Georgia, letting State come back are all examples of how we need to finish the game off.
There is no doubt that there is a lot of talent on this team. Henry is emerging as a big player not only for Ole Miss but the SEC as well. With a 13-7 record and 3-3 in the SEC the Rebels need to start a streak of wins against the rest of their SEC opponents if they want any consideration for the big dance this year. After we win this game we need to gear up for the stretch of the season and take a great record into the SEC Tournament. Come on down to the Tad Pad tonight as tipoff is set for 6:00 and support your Ole Miss Rebels. Hotty Toddy.