Auburn Prevails In A Battle Between Two SEC West Titans


In a game filled with awe struck moments, the final big play for Ole Miss resulted in awe and wonders of what-if and ended with a 35-31 Auburn win.

As Auburn recovered a Treadwell fumble in the end zone, it appeared the sophomore receiver had already scored the go-ahead touchdown to put Ole Miss up 38-35 with less than 2 minutes to go in the game.  As Ole Miss fan rejoiced in having the lead in this SEC West “elimination,” the star player was still on the field writhing in pain from an apparent injury.

Further video replay showed the ball fell from Treadwell’s grasp just a foot away from crossing the plane of the endzone, dropping Ole Miss’ chance for victory and breaking every Rebel fan’s heart as Treadwell’s ankle was broken as well.

This SEC West game of the year (so far) featured four dramatic lead changes as each team desperately fought for control of the conference.  There was 999 total yards in the game, 595 yards in the passing game, over 400 yards rushing and almost 200 yards in penalties.

Bo Wallace, determined to shake his sub-par performance last weekend in Baton Rouge, finished 28/40 for 341 yards passing with two touchdowns and no interceptions.  He also led all Rebels in rushing with 61.  59 of those yards came on an improbable scramble in the first half.  Ole Miss had three receivers with over a hundred yards receiving.  Evan Engram had 123 and a score.  Laquon Treadwell had 103 and a score, and Vince Sanders had 105 yards.

Auburn’s Nick Marshall was an efficient 15/22 for 254, 2 touchdowns passing, 2 touchdowns and 50 yards rushing and 1 interception to Senquez Golson.  Cameron Artis-Payne 143 yards rushing with one score and Sammie Coates had 122 yards receiving and a score.

Wallace fought hard last night to overcome the detractors and he fought for every yard resulting in a fumble on the Auburn 5 yards line with 10 minutes to go in the game as he attempted to stretch for a first down.

Auburn scored their last score to go up 35-31 set up by a fantastic catch by Sammie Coates with Senquez Golson draped on his back on third down.

At 3.22 left in the game, Ole Miss made their final drive for the win.  Helped by a pass interference on Vince Sanders, Bo Wallace made some expert passes and carved up the Auburn defense and relied on a soft middle zone in the Auburn secondary to find Evan Engram and Laquon Treadwell over the middle.

Treadwell’s 19 yard catch and fight to the end zone ended in disaster.  With tears streaming down his face, Treadwell was carted off the field and had to hear his play that had been called a touchdown on the field was overturned on video replay and Auburn would take over with only a minute and a half left in the game.

Ole Miss broke out with a 10 point lead midway through the third quarter 24-14 and then Nick Marshall went to work driving 73 yards down the field with expert short passes and scrambles to gain control of the game.  D’aq Williams was left alone for a 41 yards pass when Chief Brown slipped down on coverage to start the Auburn comeback.  Cameraon Artis-Payne and the Auburn offensive line began to carve up the Ole Miss defensive line for 34 yards on 4 straight running plays as Nick Marshall scored to bring Auburn back to 24-21.

A Montravious Adams sack of Bo Wallace stalled the next Ole Miss drive and Gary Wunderlich pinned Auburn down inside their own 5 yards line.  Unfazed by the spot on the field, Marshall powered screen passes to Quan Bray and Sammie Coates under close coverage and Ole Miss pressure.  Again, Cameron Artis-Payne and Marshall ran for 70 yards in three plays to set up a 17 yards pass to Marcus Davis on a wheel route from the backfield.

Auburn put the pressure back on Ole Miss to start the fourth quarter with the 28-24 lead.