Ole Miss football fans know OHT has been following the progress of the NFL Rebels and now we have more news before the season kicks off.
Between Ole Miss football and the NFL Rebels we are going to have a football overdose for a few months. This past weekend we watched as the Rebels got a big season opening 47-27 win over Texas Tech to kick off the college football season on a great note. Thursday night we’ll see the NFL kick off its season and a large number of NFL Rebels and of course fans will see the beginning of the 2018 NFL regular season.
This past Saturday was the deadline for NFL teams to submit their initial 53-man rosters. This resulted in a lot of players being waived by their teams. Since Saturday NFL transactions have ramped up with teams scrambling to pick up the best players off the waiver wire. Ole Miss had 31 NFL Rebels who participated in the preseason and 25 made the initial 53-man rosters for their respective teams. Of course there were some Rebels effected.
NFL Rebels Transactions
More from Ole Miss Rebels News
- Ole Miss Football: Are the Rebels for real after win vs #22 Tulane?
- Ole Miss football climbs the rankings in the latest AP Poll after big win
- Everything you need to know about Michael Oher and the “Blind Side” controversy
- Ole Miss News: Rebels land big ‘24 commitment, Murrell set to return
- Ole Miss Football lands a pair of talented transfer defensive backs
To have 25 NFL Rebels on active rosters entering the 2018 season is huge. It speaks to the talent of the players and also to the success which the Ole Miss football program has seen in recent years. It’s always great to see former Rebels have success at the professional level but it isn’t always pretty. In fact it can be quite ugly.
Saturday there were a number of NFL Rebels who discovered just what a tough gig the NFL really is and were released from their teams. However, the initial 53-man roster deadline was just the beginning for some. Former Rebel and rookie AJ Moore who had been fighting for a roster spot was released by New England, but was picked up by the Houston Texans Sunday.
For the second season Brandon Bolden was released by New England. New England released Bolden in 2017 only to resign him after week-one to avoid guaranteeing Bolden’s salary. It is expected this was once again the Pats plan but Tuesday Bolden was signed by the Miami Dolphins. Bolden was with the Patriots for 6 seasons primarily as a key special teams players. It is expected Bolden will fill the same role for the Fins.
Another veteran NFL Rebel who has been effected is former Rebels offensive lineman John Jerry. Jerry who had been in the league 8 seasons saw the Giants re-haul their offensive line and Jerry was released Monday. Jerry was a 3rd round pick by the Miami Dolphins in the 2010 NFL Draft and played 3 seasons before heading to the Giants. It is highly likely Jerry will be picked up prior to or into the 2018 season.
NFL Rebels Injury Report
Naturally with the physical nature of football there are going to be injuries and OHT wants to keep you updated. One NFL Rebel who was injured in the final preseason game was New York Giants TE Evan Engram. Engram was in concussion protocol but is off the injured list as of Wednesday. Other NFL Rebels who are listed on the NFL’s latest injury report:
- Robert Nkemdiche, Foot, Questionable
- Bradley Sowell, Ankle, Questionable
- Cody Core, Undisclosed, Questionable
- Quincy Adeboyejo, Upper Leg, Physically Unable to Perform
- Rod Taylor, Knee, Injured Reserve
Complete NFL Rebels List
- Quincy Adeboyejo, WR, Baltimore Ravens
- Fadol Brown, DE, Oakland Raiders
- Cody Core, WR, Cincinnati Bengals
- Evan Engam, TE, New York Giants
- Marquis Haynes, DE, Carolina Panthers
- Mike Hilton, CB, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Derrick Jones, CB, New York Jets
- DJ Jones, DT, San Fransisco 49ers
- Chad Kelly, QB, Denver Broncos
- Kendrick Lewis, S, Tennessee Titans
- Eli Manning, QB, New York Giants
- Bobby Massie, OT, Chicago Bears
- Donte Moncrief, WR, Jacksonville Jaguars
- AJ Moore, CB, Houston Texans
- Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Arizona Cardinals
- Jeremy Parnell, OT, Jacksonville Jaguars
- Bradley Sowell, OT, Chicago Bears
- Breeland Speaks, LB, Kansas City Chiefs
- Rod Taylor, G, Cincinnati Bengals
- Carlos Thompson, LB, Los Angeles Rams
- Laquon Treadwell, WR, Minnesota Vikings
- Laremy Tunsil, OT, Miami Dolphins
- Mike Wallace, WR, Philadelphia Eagles
- Jordan Wilkins, RB, Indianapolis Colts
The NFL will kickoff the 2018 regular season this Thursday night as the Philadelphia Eagles take on the Atlanta Falcons. Please be sure to visit and like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter for the latest NFL Rebels news throughout the season. Wish wish all our NFL Rebels good luck on a very safe and very successful season. Hotty Toddy!