Ole Miss football kicks off its season this Saturday, September 2nd against the Mercer Bears at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium. Here we will give a full week one preview for the Rebels including kickoff time, how to watch, and the betting odds.
It’s been 235 long days since the 2022-23 college football season concluded, and 247 days since the Rebels walked off the field for the last time against Texas Tech in the Texas Bowl.
The 2022 Ole Miss football season started hot for a team that carried a lot of hype into the year following their first 10-win season in program history, but the Rebel’s hopes of repeating that success took a nose dive following a blowout loss against LSU and losing five of its last six games after opening the season 7-0.
After losing some key players on both sides of the ball to either the NFL Draft or the transfer portal, head coach Lane Kiffin has done a lot of work bringing in a bevy of talent in the portal as well.
The Ole Miss football squad will have their work cut out for them in 2023 with one of the toughest schedules in all of college football, but they shouldn’t have any issues in the season opener facing off against an FCS opponent in the Mercer Bears.
Key Points For The Game:
- This game will kick off the 129th season of football at Ole Miss.
- The Rebels are 94-29-5 all-time in season openers and have won 21 of their last 26.
- Head coach Lane Kiffin begins his fourth season at Ole Miss and is 7-4 all-time in season openers.
- Of the 128 total players on the Ole Miss football roster, 59 are new to the team. Of those, 31 are transfers from this past spring and summer, and 28 are freshmen.
Start time and how to watch:
- Kickoff time is set for 1:00 pm CST/2:00 pm EST
- The game will be broadcast on TV at ESPN+/SEC Network+ and on the radio at WOXF-FM 105.1 (Ole Miss Football Radio Network)
Most sportsbooks haven’t released an official line for the game – this matchup should be a given considering the difference between the two programs.
The Rebels are heavily favored regardless. ESPN’s matchup predictor gives Ole Miss a 99% chance to win.