When it comes to the draft, especially the top half of the first round, quarterbacks are king. It’s no wonder as usually a team bad enough to find themselves drafting from that spot, barring a trade, likely doesn’t have a quarterback. And while there is disagreement among draft experts as to who which quarterback will come off the board after Deshaun Watson in 2017, Chad Kelly and Miami’s Brad Kaaya seem to be the two most popular options.
Here are each of the current and relevant mock drafts that have Kelly going in round one:
- Rob Rang(CBSsports.com) – #2 overall to the San Francisco 49ers. Picture Chip Kelly’s first words to his new quarterback being, “Chad, I am your father.”
- Dane Brugler(CBSsports.com) – #25 overall to the Arizona Cardinals. This situation would allow him time to learn behind veteran Carson Palmer, while putting him under the tutelage of Bruce Arians.
- Dan Kadar(SBNation.com) – #7 overall to the New Orleans Saints. This situation would also give Kelly a chance to learned behind a talented, embattled veteran of the league and work with a brilliant offensive mind in Sean Payton.
- Kevin Hanson(EDSFootball.com) – #32 overall to the Arizona Cardinals. Apparently Kelly is good fit in Arizona. And who wouldn’t want to hear what Arians would say following a super bowl victory?
- Matt Pearce(Fanspeak.com) – #27 overall to guess who, the Arizona Cardinals. Because I’ve said too much about this team and Kelly’s fit with them already, I’ll just say this: Chad Kelly deep balls to John Brown. Niceeeee.
- Steve Shoup(Fanspeak.com) – #2 overall to the San Francisco 49ers. If Kelly goes this highly, Hugh Freeze is going to smile in a way that will make his haters lose their collective mind.
- Tankathon.com – #28 to the Kansas City Chiefs. This would certainly give a Kansas City offense that doesn’t throw the ball effectively downfield a new look.
More from Ole Miss Football
- Ole Miss Football: How Ole Miss can upset Alabama in top 15 matchup
- Ole Miss Football: Jaxson Dart has a career day against Georgia Tech
- Ole Miss Football: Week 3 preview and odds vs Georgia Tech
- Ole Miss football rises again in the latest AP Poll
- Ole Miss Football: Fireworks in store in week 2 matchup with Tulane
Here is what Rang had to say about Kelly, his projected number two pick, and how he would fit in San Francisco:
"“Unless Chip Kelly is able to resurrect the careers of Colin Kaepernick or Blaine Gabbert (or get a kick-start out of rookie Jeff Driskel), the 49ers will be looking for an upgrade at quarterback in 2017, if selecting this high. Kelly — the nephew of Hall of Famer Jim Kelly and not related to 49ers coach Chip Kelly — possesses the arm and athleticism to be an ideal match in Chip’s offense. He comes with questions on and off the field, but he is an undeniable talent that could soar up draft boards with a big 2016 season.”"
And here’s what Brugler said about the Cardinals potentially taking a former Ole Miss Rebel in the first round for the second straight year:
"“Chad Kelly, QB, Ole Miss: Although his background will give teams pause, the Cardinals aren’t afraid to take chances and need a young passer to groom behind Carson Palmer.”"
Additionally, CBSsports.com ranks Kelly as the top senior quarterback prospect in the draft currently. While DJ Boyer(draftsite.com) has him going #52 overall to the Atlanta Falcons in his early mock. And lastly, Athlonsports.com ranks Kelly as the #33 prospect eligible for the 2017 NFL Draft.
Next: Marquis Haynes