Better Run Defense
More from Ole Hotty Toddy
- Ole Miss Football: How Ole Miss can upset Alabama in top 15 matchup
- Ole Miss Football: Jaxson Dart has a career day against Georgia Tech
- Ole Miss Football: Week 3 preview and odds vs Georgia Tech
- Ole Miss football rises again in the latest AP Poll
- Ole Miss Football: Are the Rebels for real after win vs #22 Tulane?
OHT isn’t trying to beat a dead horse here but the Ole Miss run defense is poor although it has improved from 2017. Most of the Ole Miss defensive line played together last season with a few new additions. Those new additions have played good enough to make the numbers look better.
However the improvements from last season could be much better. Thru 7 games the Rebels have allowed 1,474 yards and 12 TDs just on the ground. Getting off blocks and making tackles is important but tackling is essential and has been a noticeable problem so far.
There is little doubt Gus Malzahn is going to try to run the ball and will do it until the Rebels can stop it. If the Rebels load the box and stop the run it will force Jarrett Stidham to make accurate throws downfield and that would be advantageous.